Information about the course:
This unit of competency provides the skills and knowledge to be able to handle asthma emergency situations in the workplace. It provides background knowledge of the causes, symptoms and effects of asthma as well as emergency treatment.
Those who are required to provide an emergency first aid response in a workplace.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Students who successfully complete this nationally recognised training will be awarded the statement of attainment for:
- Management of Asthma Risks and Emergencies in the Workplace 22282VIC
The statement of attainment will be issued by Allens Training Pty Ltd RTO 90909
Initial Course duration:
Mixed Mode: Completion of pre-course study plus 2 hours practical training
Face to Face: 4 hours face to face training
Pre course study options:
Downloadable workbook – You must take the evidence from your pre course study to the practical training session.
Skills and Knowledge
- Signs and symptoms of asthma – mild, moderate and severe
- Potential consequences of an asthma attack
- Common allergic and non-allergic asthma triggers
- First aid principles and procedures in relation to the causes, symptoms and treatment of asthma
- Environmental hazard identification and minimization
- Sources of medical assistance, such as first aiders, general practitioners, ambulance
- Casualty information required for emergency assistance
- Documentation required for recording emergency incidents
- Prevention and risk management strategies to minimise the likelihood of emergency asthma situations
- Asthma Action Plans for individuals and Asthma Emergency Management Plans for organisations/workplaces
- Develop risk management strategies for the emergency management of asthma
- Control the situation prior to the administration of first aid treatment for an asthma attack including the removal or minimisation of hazards
- Demonstrate first aid procedures for the management of emergency asthma situations
- Communicate effectively with the asthma casualty, when requesting emergency assistance and in meeting the organisation’s incident reporting requirements
- Use initiative in responding to challenging situations and individuals
- Have input to asthma management plans for organisations/workplaces
- Maintain accurate records